RSS
email

Christianity Today

I would never have turned to this magazine for such a captivating and challenging article. In the September 05 issue of Christianity Today (which oddly enough is already out???) there is an article called

"The New Monasticism" - a fresh crop of Christian communities is blossoming in blighted urban setting all over America.

I read the article. I contemplated moving. I tried to determine how difficult it would be to convince our entire community with us, and to live in community, such as those in the article. I sit here wondering if this is still in our future. The article includes tons of good quotes, but there is one section that focuses on our place in life:

"Community living is also difficult, especially for families, to sustain over the long tern. 'The whole [American] culture is set up for married people with careers and kids to live in houses and to be mobile as a unit,' Paris says. That can cause problems for communities that include married couples and their children, who at some point feel the need to move on to create a life for their family."

That is odd. I am feeling a draw to leave the "life" we have created for ourselves, to leave our "careers" behind, and to make a life for our family... In community. I read this article and I am moved by the compassion the wear on their sleeve. I am motivated by their lifestyle of surrender, sacrifice and service to the neglected, addicted, poor and disenfranchised. I am drawn to strengthen their voice against the oppressors, to shout loudly by their side for aid, to lead by the example of lifestyle. I feel a push to live in the neighborhoods, rather than visit them 3 or 4 times a year.

I don't know what those feelings are about. I don't know if they are real, or justified, or God- induced, or fleeting. I may feel differently in the morning. Kelly's heart may sing a similar song, or it may ask for a different tune. I know full well that God would have to put it in us both for any kind of real response to occur. I recognize that I don't feel release from Findlay necessarily, in fact I have felt very drawn to it lately. Perhaps this is a stirring for Findlay, an eye-opening of the poverty and injustice in our own town.

So what can I do here? In Findlay, Ohio. What is God calling me to do where I am at? How can I respond in the place I find myself, my family? That is the question I must ask and somehow respond to, with my life and my resources.

Read the article. It may stir something in you. Or maybe it won't.

Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Son!

It is good to see you posting a blog again. I know Daddy and I have told you this before, but you have a definite literary gift .. the ability to express your thoughts and writing in a stirring way.

Througout life you will have thoughts similar to the ones you are now experiencing ... as you continue to seek God's Will. It is sometimes exciting and very scary at the same time!As Daddy and I come close to our 33rd wedding anniversary, we still have such thoughts: "What am I here for? Am I where God can use me most effectively? What would He have me to do next? Do I stay where I am or is there a different place where He needs me?" And the questions continue to surface.

The cool thing is that God knows our innermost thoughts and we put a smile on His face when He sees our desire to "be all He wants us to be". Keep trusting and serving, leaning and adventuring ... not leaning on your own understanding of the events of your life ... He will guide you! "I will instruct you and teach you in the way that you should go. I will guide you with my eye." (Psalm 32:8)

I believe in you!
Love Always,
Mom

James said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly said...

Loved the article. It made my heart ache.

I'm with you babe. Whether we're packing, or staying . . . I'm in!

David said...

James, I am constantly amazed by your unwavering desire for the Kingdom to come and God's will to be done in your life and community. You inspire me to be more deeply devoted to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Your motives are pure and I am convinced that if you(we) continue this struggle God will reveal why he has caused this unrest in you(us). I can't wait for the day when we get to journey together in community once again.