RSS
email

Our Community Clarification

We dedicated Halle this past Sunday.

Our entire community was there (the folks we eat with), but the cool thing was that the Fuzzy's crew showed up too. Mike and Janis Hoy (the owners were there), Dave & Kathy Cornwell (who actually already go to our church, so that isn't a stretch) and even Chris and Christi Williams (they made it to the beginning of the lunch until Chris realized he was really too sick to be there and they took off). My father did the dedication and he did a cool thing of having our entire small group come up and stand with us during it. I had actually thought about this ahead of time, and was thrilled he had too.

Afterwards I began to wonder how that made our daily community and the Fuzzy's crew feel? If I were them I would have been thinking, "well, I deserve to be up there too." Of course, I am probably a bit of a jealous person, so that makes sense. I asked Benji and Sarah if came up, even though they aren't in our "small group" from the Naz Church, and they did, but they told me they were wondering what others thought of that... of course I said, "screw the others". Basically here is the deal:

Kelly and I have three groups we invest relational time and energy into. We are truly connected and "close" with all three groups on rather intimate, but varying levels. There is some interconnectivity between the groups, but not much. Which leaves us being closely connected with a lot of folks. Anyways, I feel the need to simplify these groups for future reference, because it is probably somewhat confusing. I think I am going to start writing a lot more about them, us and our community, so this should help, because this is how I will refer to them.
1) Community- Folks we eat with 2-4 x/week (Benji & Sarah Ballmer, Joe & Heidi Hunsaker, and it looks like Chris and Summer Thomas may be rejoining us! Horray! )
2) Fuzzy's- Group that meet on Saturday nights, usually at Fuzzy Bernstein's restaurant. We have been meeting for 3 months or so, and somedays it seems like we are on the verge of true community with one another, others it doesn't. Still experimenting and learning with these folks. (Ballmers, Hunsakers, Dave & Kathy Cornwell, Chris & Christi Williams, Hal Fogarty, Mike & Janis Hoy, Oliver and a few other folks flirting with us).
3) Small Group- Our Sunday Night care group from the church. We have been together 2 1/2 years (at least half of us have, and two other couples have been with us for 1 1/2 years). We have reached the depths of sharing pain and joy with one another, but are presently going through a confusing dry spell with one another ( my perspective) (Hunsakers, Ron & Nancy Rook, John & Brenda Ballmer, Angie & Rob Craine, Scott & Jill Erickson, Teri Armstrong and two other fringe families... 1 just moved away)

So, there you have it. Our communities. Our community. Our church. I preached on community on Sunday and God rocked me. I recognize that MOST CHURCH GOERS don't have enough community, but I wonder if we have too much? Can you? I know you can if you neglect your family life, but when does community deter from that family life, rather than enrich it? I am committed to Koinonia (no, not the MVNC religion fraternity I never "joined"), but I want to make sure it is a healthy commitment. I read a friends livejournal today and he said "I am experiencing things in my life I have never felt. I have never desired to put my trust into a cup, and then pass the cup to a stranger..." I have always been willing. I don't know what that means right now. Good or bad?

GOOD STUFF:
* Jason & Ruth Eliason (high school best buds) came to the dedication/our home
* Stetlers & Jen Leonard came to visit for dinner last night.
* Great discussion with P. Mikey today. It was fun.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

BT said...

James--Welcome back.

Thank you for clarifying your three forms of community...It helps me as I read. The question of too much community is a valid one. I've talked to Kari about how I'm afraid, in a number of years, this will become the new way of "doing" church, and the danger that being in community could become the next program that drains our energy and draws us away from our family. One thing that concerns me about my community (small group) is that I'm not sure how much we're doing for people who don't know Jesus.

Just some thoughts. Congratulations on Halle's dedication. We dedicated Braden last Sunday at Ashland Plaza! What memories you and me have of that place, huh?

Also, I love that you used the word "hooray" in your post. We should use that word more often.

Love you, man.

BT

Terri said...

Hi Son!

It is interestiing that you posed the question about the possibility of "too much community" ... Give me a call sometime when you have a few moments to share our thoughts. Also, as I reflect on your "Fuzzy" group meeting, I wanted to thank you for letting us join you. It was a thought provoking and challenging time of digging into God's Word ... I love times like that! I also have a special reflection on that time that I would like to share with you personally.

Brad commented on enjoying your use of "Horray" in your blog. There was another word I was a bit shocked by. Can you guess? (Smile. That's my son, though and I love him!)

Basically, you and I need to talk sometime just to "pick each other's brain". Sure wish we lived closer where I could just "drop in". Wouldn't that be weird? Wonderful! More strain on your time schedule.

Later
With lots of love,
Mom