RSS
email

Crystal Greiner

I got a call while with my buddy Dave at breakfast this morning at 8:30am.
Crystal Greiner, one of my teens for the past 4 years, who had drifted away the past 5 months of so died in a house fire last night. Crystal was a sweet girl, who had a soft spot for God, even when her friends didn't. Last January she made a serious committment to Christ at a Winter Retreat, all of her own, with no "peer pressure" (I was there, and it was sincere and real). She wasn't really living "the Christian life" the past couple of months, but 2 things come to mind when I try to justify her eternal destination:
1) No one knows what she was thinking in the last few moments and what prayers she may have said.
2) Maybe I am Calvinist... or at least maybe I will be for the funeral.

Her parents (unchurched) asked me to perform the funeral and I was with them from 9am until noon and at the school until 2 after that. This has been my first experience bringing comfort to a family from the first hours, through the funeral home consulatation, straight through the funeral. I buried one of my teens 2 years ago, but I knew Crystal much better and her family has allowed me to be much more involved from the beginning.
It is tough being "the pastor", sitting in a stranger's living room, comforting a mom you casually know who has lost her only daughter, a half-hour after finding out yourself. So I cried for them and with them. I was strong for them. I was weak with them. I prayed for us. I was present. I will be present in the days ahead. Tough days ahead.

My Schedule This Week:
Wednesday 6:00-8:00 PM Hal's Visitation Hours
Wednesday 6:15-8:45 PM Youth Group Christmas Parties (JH an SH)
Thursday 2:00PM-? Hal's Funeral
Thursday 3:00PM-4:00PM Crystal's Family Visitation
Thursday 4:00PM-8:00PM Crystal's Open Visitation
Friday 11:00PM-Noon Crystal's Open Visitation II
Friday Noon-?? Crystal's Funeral

My eyes really hurt, my heart aches and I feel a bit numb.
Prayers for peace and comfort, and the ability to pass both of those on, are deeply needed and appreciated my friends.

Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

myoldblog2009 said...

May God give you strength.

Thank you for sharing - it is heavy with me.

Take much time to hold your family and smile and laugh with them if possible. You will need them.

I know it is not possible to sit in somebody else's darkness and grief, or grieve yourself without a sustaining love around you.

I thank God.

Anonymous said...

James,
My eyes hurt with yours after reading what you're going through. My heart aches as I try to put myself in your shoes.
I feel tired for you, this will be some of the most draining days of your life.
My spirit is hopeful - that both Crystal and Hal are seated at the right hand of our Father together this day.
Peace to you distant friend. I wish I knew of something else to say. As you come to mind, the Smiths, the Greiners and the Fogartys will be in my prayers.
+Come Lord Jesus. Come.+
--Kelli from LP

BT said...

Yes, come Lord Jesus.

James, I'm so sorry for your two recent losses. There are no more words.

I love you.

Stetlers said...

Praying for peace and rest for you tonight. I love you, James.

Brian said...

I just read your post and am incredibly sorry. Please know you are in our prayers and thoughts in this time. We join you in prayers for the families, for the friends and for you. Jesus is there in your midst.

Thanks for being a good pastor and friend.

Anonymous said...

Sure do love you James. You have a deep and spacious heart. Kat and I are coming back soon to be with you and your two girls.

-andrew

Chris said...

Praying that you'll encounter our Abba at every difficult step on this current journey.

Brett W. said...

James,

I recently found your Blog, and I had no idea. I was attending a funeral for a mother of a teen around the same time. It always seems that holidays bring more than cheer.