RSS
email

Dry

I have been "dry" for a couple weeks, but it feels like much longer. Do you know what I mean? I mean... really, really dry. Spiritually. Emotionally. Mentally.

The way that manifests itself in my life:
* I am more selfish
* I am short with others
* I am touchy
* I am self-conscious (the slightly more manly way of saying sensitive)
* I am somewhat mean
* I am easily angered
* Kelly gets the brunt of all of this. I have been tough on her, which sucks.

It seems to me like all of these manifestations point to a poor spiritual state in my life. They pretty much represent opposites of the "fruits of the spirit". It has probably been building all summer and I kept looking for quick fixes (3 weeks of stored up vacation, mission trip high, camp high -youth pastors still get to have those-, visits with friends). All of those things temporarily remove me from the pit of dryness and give me an mental/spiritual buzz. Those things fill me with energy and good "feelings", which have masked my downward trend.

One time Dr. Sanders said, "There is no standing still in your relationship with God. You are either moving toward him or moving further away." I don't know what I think about that statement. What do you think? If it is true then I have moved away this summer, but that has not been the desire of my heart... Honestly...

...but everything is dry: Scripture, relationships/friendships, prayer, teaching, youth ministry, discussions, debates, life.

DRY.

I am not looking for pity, but I wouldn't mind some fresh opinions, insights or wisdom.

Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Stetlers said...

I have no opinions, insights, or wisdom...but I love you!
I love your wife and your little girl too.

Chris said...

wish I could help...but I moved past "dry" to brittle months ago!

peterkevinson said...

I'm not sure if I agree with Willie T or not, but just because you are dry doesn't mean you are not growing closer to God. Much life exists in the desert, it just takes different shapes and forms there.

A Sinner said...

Very insightful Kevin. I wish I could go to the desert. I'm way too distracted with unimportant non-Kingdom things to even realize how dry I am. Christ, have mercy on us. Peace to you, James.

miz fuhrell said...

anne lamott has said there are really only 2 prayers:

"help me" and "thank you".

and if a sigh of exhausted frustration is all you can manage, it's enough.

David said...

As long as our desire is to move closer to God I think he continues to pull us closer. Sometimes we might provide more help than others.

I think Kathy's advice is something you should take very seriously.

I think Andrew's invitation is one that you should accept.

peace brother